Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dear Friends,

I haven't posted for a couple of days, and I don't have a lot to say today, but I will post a brief thought or two about Governor McDonnell's naming 2013 the "Year of the Teacher."

Call me cynical, but this is simply a ploy designed to make it difficult for teachers to complain about the changes that the Governor wants to implement as part of his education initiative and his ultimate "legacy" as Governor. Surely we cannot question his enthusiasm and regard for teachers if he is looking for ways to recognize them and their excellence. Right?

Well, sorry, but color me suspicious. This is a red herring designed to throw teachers off the track of understanding the Governor's real intentions:  to expand charter schools across the Commonwealth; to increase K12, Inc.'s profit margin by continuing to promote virtual learning and reducing the number of teachers needed on-site; and to clear the way for the entrance of Teach for America into Virginia's schools.

Oh, and let's also not forget that he still wants to fundamentally change continuing contract law for Virginia's teachers as well.

I hope that my friends who are the education advocates and activists won't be lulled into thinking that just because it is the "Year of the Teacher" that they don't need to have their guard up as we head into the 2013 General Assembly session. I hate to be so skeptical, but experience, frankly, has taught me to be.

Until next time.

Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment