Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dear Friends,

I started thinking about how we use language in our society, and I wrote the following.


The Power of Words

            Words matter. Remember when you were a kid and sometimes you would hear (or perhaps say) “Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me.” Those were brave words used by the kids who wanted to appear to be above the taunts of teasing or bullying.  No one wants to be seen as a wimp, after all. No one wants to invite the humiliation of letting your tormentor know that they have hit a sore spot.

            But the fact is that words do hurt. Some words sting. Some bite. And worse, those particular words work their way into our psyche in a way that no physical wound can. Yes, words matter, so we need to be mindful of the words that we use...always.

            I have always tried to be mindful of the power of words. I love words. I live with a dictionary close by (well, now, mostly a dictionary app) so that I can check the meaning of new words...and I love the language of beautiful prose.

            I am also aware of the limitations of words. Sometimes it is simply impossible to adequately explain a feeling or articulate a passion. Words fail us in the moments when we feel the closest to our Deity or when we are overwhelmed with the feeling of love for someone—a child or a parent.

            But at the end of the day, what I have learned is that words do matter and we should select the words we use with one another very, very carefully. Words of encouragement can uplift someone in a way that we can never measure in the same way that words of disparagement can discourage someone long after the moment they were uttered.

            As teachers, we need to be particularly mindful of this simple fact.  It is easy to forget when harried and hurried and pressured and overwhelmed. It is easy to be sarcastic or biting when we are rushed or frustrated. It is all too easy to reach for negative words, especially if we feel under attack. But at the end of the day, it is important to try to keep words positive. Encouragement should be the order of the day. You will feel better and you won’t have any regrets, wishing you could take something back. And if you do find yourself being unkind, correct it as soon as you can. Three of the most powerful words you may ever use are “I am sorry,” along with “I love you.” Use those words when you need to, and the rest will take care of itself.

Until next time,

Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment